Art for Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park
Take 5: Celebrate Valentine's Day with Disney Parks
posted on February 11th, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park Features Romantic Moments in Disney Animation as Part of 'The Magic, The Memories and You!' Love is in the air, and what better way to spend time with your Valentines than here at Disney Parks? Even if you are just spending quality time with family or friends, there are plenty of hot spots, cozy restaurants, and picture-perfect locations to visit with your loved ones.
How will you celebrate Valentine's Day at Disney Parks this year?
- Discover ‘Pirate’s Passion’ this Valentine’s Season at Walt Disney World Resort – Looking for a gift from the heart? Check out this unique Valentine idea from Disney Floral & Gifts.
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day in Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort – The Downtown Disney District will host “Romance of the Big Band Era” with tunes, food and films – ingredients for the perfect date!
- Love Is In The Air at the Disneyland Resort: Romantic Locations – Secret gardens, Snow White’s grotto, and hidden courtyards – Disney Parks Blog author Michelle Himmelberg takes you to all the romantic spots at Disneyland Resort.
- Romantic Places at the Disneyland Resort, Part 2 – Planning to pop the question this Valentine’s Day? Take a look at this list of lovely locations for ideas.
- More Fun Surprises in Store for ‘The Magic, The Memories and You!’ at Disney Parks – Enjoy a romantic evening with a special segment during the Disney Park’s projection show, “The Magic, The Memories and You!”
Red Velvet CakeAccording to legend, red velvet cake was invented in the 1950s at Oscar's in New York's Waldorf-Astoria. However, Raven Dennis of Cake Man Raven Confectionary (whose recipe we adapted) claims red velvet cake originated during the Civil War, and that Southern ladies made it "to keep their husbands home".
FOR THE FROSTING: 12 oz. cream cheese, softened 12 oz. butter, softened 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
For the cake: Preheat oven to 350.
Grease three 8" round cake pans with butter.
Dust with 2 tbsp. of the flour and set aside. Sift remaining flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a bowl. Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar in a bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake cakes, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let cakes cool for 5 minutes, then invert each onto a plate, then invert again onto a rack.
For the frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Add sugar and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Put 1 cake layer on a cake plate; spread one-quarter of the frosting on top. Set another layer on top and repeat frosting. Set remaining layer on top and frost top and sides with the remaining frosting. Press pecans into the sides of the cake.
MAKES ONE 8" CAKE
Recipe courtesy of ~
Romance is in the air! Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort will once again host Romance of the Big Band Era this Valentine's Day, and if you and your sweetheart are looking for a place to celebrate look no further! Starting today, you will find everything your hearts desire, including:
Swing bands at the Main Stage nightly from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 11: Tim Gill & The All-Stars
Sunday, Feb. 12: The Swingcats
Monday, Feb. 13: The Wise Guys
Tuesday, Feb. 14: Tim Gill & The All-Stars
Swing dancers will be invited to be part of the festivities and in addition to offering swing dance lessons, there will be a Swing Dance-Off competition as well!
Gone with the Wind at AMC Theaters Feb. 10-16
Select restaurants offering special menus with couples dinner packages:
House of Blues
Make your reservation soon! Call Disney Dining at (714) 781-DINE or (714) 781-3463 to make a reservation.
Be sure to pick up a red rose for your sweetheart from one of the flower vendors! We look forward to seeing you enjoying the festivities. Happy Valentine's Day from the Downtown Disney District!
Sounds like it's going to be an awesome Valentine's Day at Walt Disney World, wish I could be there, it's one of the Holiday s I haven't been there but that will change next year. Plan in action..
Thanks for stopping by on this Romance, Red and Roses Night ;-)