WITH MORE THAN 40 PAGES OF STORIES, PHOTOGRAPHS, AND IMAGES, D23 HONORS THE PAST WHILE CELEBRATING THE FUTURE OF WALT’S FIRST PARK. PLUS, LEONARD MALTIN GIVES READERS A SNEAK PEEK OF THE SUMMER’S BIGGEST MOVIES.
Press Release --- As Disneyland approaches its 60th anniversary, Disney twenty-three brings readers inside the party, with an in-depth look at how the park is celebrating this milestone with new parades, spectaculars, and enhancements to popular attractions. In preparation for the landmark occasion, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club took Disney Legend Marty Sklar—who worked at Disneyland on opening day—and Walt Disney Imagineering Chief Creative Executive Bruce Vaughn on a walk through Disneyland, where they reminisce about details from the past, such as the park’s legendary opening day, and look ahead at all the excitement yet to come.
Also in the Summer issue, available exclusively to D23 Gold Members, the Walt Disney Archives unveils rarely showcased ephemera from Disneyland’s opening including a media pass and concept art for freeway billboards promoting the world’s first theme park. And for Disney parks foodies, there’s a look at some of the park’s signature snacks, from Dole Whips and turkey legs to churros and Mickey Mouse ice cream bars.
Plus, film critic, historian, and co-producer of the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series Leonard Maltin gives a behind-the-scenes look at Disney’s three big summer movies featuring exclusive interviews with Tomorrowland director Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille), Inside Out director Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc., Up), and Ant-Mandirector Peyton Reed. Each director offers Maltin—who authored the book The Disney Films—a fascinating look at the creation of the colorful, complicated, and magnificent worlds of their three films.
Also included in the Summer issue of Disney twenty-three: read more below
- Rarely seen photos from the Disneyland Hotel’s storied history
- A look inside a Disneyland Pitch Portfolio that was used to sell East Coast investors on Walt’s vision for the park
- Fifty years of Disney Ambassadors and how they bring magic to people around the globe
- Newlyweds share the stories of their beautiful Disney-themed weddings
- An up-close look at the beloved animated feature Pinocchio with historian J.B. Kaufman
- Regular columns including A Walk with Walt, D Society, and Ask Dave
D23 Members are invited to visit D23.com for additional online-exclusive features, including a gallery of more artwork from the Disneyland Pitch Portfolio, used to showcase concepts of the park that would turn Walt’s dream into a reality.
Other features coming to D23.com include:
- Disney Legend Marty Sklar talking about the past and future of Disneyland as the park celebrates its 60th anniversary
- A robust gallery of images of Disneyland through the years
- A dazzling display of wedding cakes to bring a sweet finish to any Disney fan’s wedding, from classic confections to truly innovative tastes for all the senses
Disney twenty-three, which is delivered directly to fans’ doorsteps, is offered exclusively to D23 Gold Members as a benefit of their membership. The latest issue will begin arriving late May.
The name “D23” pays homage to the exciting journey that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his first studio in Hollywood. D23 is the first official club for fans in Disney’s 90-plus-year history. It gives its members a greater connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic through its quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; a rich website at D23.com with members-only content; member-exclusive discounts; and special events for D23 Members throughout the year.
Fans can join D23 at Gold Membership ($74.99) and General Membership (complimentary) levels at D23.com and at DisneyStore.com/D23. To keep up with all the latest D23 news and events, follow DisneyD23 on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube.
Thanks and Much Magic!!!