The year was 1985 and it was a great cause for celebration, the park was 30 years young and celebrities flocked to it as much us common folk. No one could resist the Magical draw of a place so special. It's everything in here that's awesome - the rides, the balloons, the history! To me being at the place that Walt himself walked around and build, meant so much. It has a different feeling when you walk the grounds of this happy place as oppose to the outside world and the minute you go through the gates you feel it. The Magic, the Happiness and you're a kid again.
For our family going to Disneyland for the first time was unbelievable - it was better than I could have imagined. I got there for the first time in my life, two years ago after dreaming about it for so long. I got to go with my whole family, which made it even more special. We loved every minute, and seeing it for the first time you look at everything. I loved walking down Main Street and imagining that Walt had been here. It was a great opportunity to share magical moments with my family and I can't wait to go back.
Here are some of the Highlights that happened in 1985!
- Monday, February 18, 1985 - DISNEYLAND’S 30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION airs. This 2 hour made for television show is filmed at Disneyland to celebrate its 30th anniversary and airs at 8pm EST. This show hosted by John Forsythe and Drew Barrymore also stars Julie Andrews. Julian Lennon, Marie Osmond, Annette Funicello, Roy Clark, Alabama, Debbie Allen, Peter Allen, David Hasselhoff, Donna Summer and the Pointer Sisters.
- 1985 - YEAR ROUND, DAILY OPERATIONS begin at Disneyland. Before this, the park had been closed Monday and Tuesday during off seasons.
- Disneyland had its first 24-hour day event, staying open July 17th, the parks birthday for a full 24 hours. There was a special admission price of $30 for the entire 24 hours, with thousands of guests buying the special event tickets through Ticketmaster. Regular guests paid $16.50 for the regular operating hours.
- Saturday, August 24, 1985 - The 250 MILLIONTH GUEST enters Disneyland.
- Monday, September 2, 1985 -The aging attraction, ADVENTURES THRU INNER SPACE closes. It is replaced by Star Tours in 1987. Adventure Thru Inner Space, presented by Monsanto Company, was an attraction in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. It was the first attraction to utilize Disney's Omnimover system.
|Courtesy of wikipedia - The queue|
Here is a great clip from the 1985 Disneyland 30th Anniversary special!
Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for stopping by and please stop by the other great Disney Bloggers blogs in this 60th Diamond Anniversary celebrating Disneyland.
An InLinkz Link-up